Posted on

Nashua council hires Floyd County deputy as new police chief

By Jennifer Lantz, Nashua Reporter

The Nashua Police Department will be back to full strength, albeit full strength of one, next week after the City Council on Monday approved the hiring of a new police chief.

Jeremy Iriarte, a graduate of Nashua High School and a deputy with the Floyd County Sheriff’s Office for the past six years, will begin working for the city this coming Monday.

Jeremy Iriarte

“I knew they were hiring and felt like it was the best move for me and my family,” said Iriarte. “I talked with my wife (Amber) and we really felt like this was the best outcome for our family.”

Nashua’s police chief position became open this past summer when former Chief Ben Scholl resigned to accept a job with Hawkeye Community College.

The city had already contracted with the Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Office to provide 160 hours of law enforcement services in the city each month, but City Council members felt it was important to maintain a local department and agreed to fill Scholl’s position.

In Floyd County, Iriarte worked both as a patrol officer and as an investigator.

Before going into law enforcement, he was an information technology specialist at Network Control in Waverly.

“I’d always had an interest in law enforcement,” he said about that earlier career switch. “I talked to family who were in the field and decided to follow my instinct, which has proven to be a good choice.”

Chickasaw County Sheriff Marty Hemann, who served on a committee that helped hire the new chief, said he was excited to work with Iriarte, pointing out that the Sheriff’s Office will still provide 160 hours of service to Nashua each month but that his office was “stretched” while the Nashua position was vacant.

“We look forward to working with Jeremy and looking for a smooth transition,” Hemann said. “We are excited to have him here.”

Social Share

LATEST NEWS