Races set for Charles City mayor, Charles City school board, other city positions in county
By Bob Steenson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Two people are vying for mayor in Charles City, and six people are seeking one of three seats on the Charles City School District Board of Education.
The filing deadline to get on the ballot for the Nov. 2 city and school district elections was 5 p.m. Thursday.
Josh Mack, who is currently president of the Charles City Board of Education, is the only incumbent to run for re-election this year. Two other members whose terms are expiring, Scott Dight and Missy Freund, both decided to not seek another term.
In addition to Mack, the other five people running for the school board are Kathryn Fox, Claire Jung, Lori Otto, Dr. David Schrodt and Staci Taylor, according to Evan Marten, Charles City School District director of finance and board secretary.
All the Charles City Board of Education seats are at-large, so voters in the school district will be able to vote for their choice of three of the candidates on the ballot, and the three people who receive the highest number of votes will be elected.
The two candidates who have previously announced their intention to run for Charles City Mayor, incumbent Dean Andrews and challenger Richard Severin, were the only two to have filed by the deadline, so one of them likely will be elected mayor in November.
Two Charles City Council terms are up this year. Incumbent DeLaine Freeseman is seeking re-election, but Jerry Joerger is not running for another term. Joining Freeseman on the ballot will be Charles City resident Patrick Lumley.
Other city positions in Floyd County where there will be a race are Marble Rock City Council, where four candidates have filed for three seats, Nora Springs City Council, where three candidates have filed for two seats, and Rockford City Council, where four candidates have filed for three seats.
Here is the final list of candidates for the 2021 city elections in Floyd County, according to information from the Floyd County Auditor’s Office:
- Mayor – Dean Andrews (i) and Richard Severin.
- City Council (two seats) – DeLaine Freeseman (i) and Patrick Lumley.
- Mayor – Jeffrey Wright (i)
- City Council (six seats) – none filed.
- Mayor – Trevis K. O’Connell (i)
- City Council (two seats) – Charles Newman (i) and Kevin Krueger (i).
- City Council (to fill vacancy) – Jeremy Stewart (previously appointed)
- City council (three seats) – J.R. Ackley (i), Todd Schriever (i), John Marzen and Tracy Merfield (i).
- Mayor – Randy Hassman (i)
- City Council (two seats) – Bryant Hicok, Allen Bailey and Ashley Kohler
- Mayor – Scott Johnson (i)
- City Council (three seats) – Jerome Schlader, Kevin Tegtmeier, Sharon Enabnit and Brent W. Medlin.
- Mayor – Jeff Buland (i)
- City Council (two seats) – Matthew Bouillon (i) and Kaleb Roth
* (i) means incumbent for that position.