Electrical malfunction likely cause of Sunday fire

Staff report

A Sunday evening kitchen fire may have been caused by an electrical malfunction, Charles City Fire Chief Eric Whipple said on Monday.

The department was called out to Wandering Acres Drive at about 6:53 p.m. after the homeowner reported seeing a kitchen appliance on fire. The homeowner was the only one at the residence, and no injuries were reported.

While fire damage is contained to the kitchen, the rest of the house received heavy smoke damage, Whipple said.

“Luckily the fire had almost self-extinguished itself because the home was so airtight, the fire didn’t have the air to expand or grow,” Whipple said.

The department spent about two hours responding to the scene, Whipple said. The department was assisted by the Floyd County Sheriff’s Office, Floyd County Search and Rescue, the Floyd Fire Department, AMR Ambulance and the Butler County REC electrical company.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY