Enjoy some outdoor winter fun during Cabin Fever Weekend in Charles City area
To The Press
Now that the holiday season is past and winter has set in, the Charles City Area Chamber of Commerce is coordinating some outdoor fun to help break up the winter blahs.
The annual Cabin Fever Weekend is set for Jan. 30-31, with a variety of activity providers offering a chance to get out of the house and enjoy the better parts of winter.
From 9-11 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 30, the Charles City Public Library will be hosting appearances from the characters Elephant and Piggie during a special drive-thru “Snap a Selfie” in the library’s back parking lot. Sponsored by the Friends of the Library, participating youth will each receive a treat as well.
A number of outdoor winter activities are also planned. All snow and ice-related activities will, of course, be subject to sufficient snow cover and ice conditions, but if the weather cooperates there will be plenty of activities from which to choose.
• Anyone who has never tried cross country skiing or snowshoeing will have an opportunity to do so for only $5 on Jan. 30, between 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. at Wildwood Park in Charles City.
Crawdaddy Outdoors of Waverly will be on hand with rental equipment for all ages. Experienced skiers and snowshoers are also welcome.
• There will also be cross country skiing and equipment rentals available at the Tosanak Recreation Area near Marble Rock that day from 1-4 p.m. Rental cost there will also be $5, and no advance registration is necessary.
• From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Jan. 30 there will be a Kids Ice Fishing Derby at the Bill Fluhrer Pond, located across from the Floyd County Fairgrounds off of Packard Avenue.
This event is free for all youth up to age 13, with bait to be provided and prizes awarded. Parents are welcome to come and fish with their children. The derby is being sponsored by Wilt’s Garage & V-Twin, along with Rapids End Outfitters.
• The Lion’s Field Sledding Hill off of Gilbert Street will be available throughout the weekend.
• Guided Fat Tire Bike Rides will be offered by Floyd County Conservation at the Tosanak Recreation Area on Jan. 30, with bikes and helmets rented out for $5. The 10-11:30 a.m. and 1-2:30 p.m. time slots have already filled up, but additional time slots are available from 8:30-10 a.m. and 11:30-1 p.m.
There are a limited number of bikes available, so participants are asked to please register ahead of time online at mycountyparks.com/County/Floyd/Park/Tosanak-Recreation-Area, or by calling (641) 756-3490.
• Floyd County Conservation will also host an Owl Prowl Night Hike on Jan. 30 from 6-8 p.m. at Tosanak. There is no fee, but participants are asked to register ahead of time to control the group size due to COVID-19 precautions. Registration is available at the same online address or telephone number as the Fat Tire Bike Rides above.
•On Sunday, Jan. 31st, the Nashua Fish & Game Club at 3024 Addison Ave. near Nashua will host an open clay target shoot for anyone interested. The range will be open from 1-3 p.m. and cost will be $6 for 25 clays. Please bring your own shotgun, as well as hearing and eye protection if you have them.
The high school trap coaches will be on hand with extra supplies for people who are curious about the sport or want to try something new. Youth under the age of 17 need to be accompanied by an adult. Call (641) 426-6818 to learn more.
• If you are looking for some warmer indoor fun, the Comet Bowl in Charles City will be offering Cabin Fever Weekend Specials from 2-6 p.m. on both Jan. 30 and 31. Call (641) 228-2115 for more information.
Cabin Fever Weekend is coordinated each year by the Charles City Area Chamber of Commerce. For more information, call (641) 228-4234 or email email@example.com.